Monday, October 22, 2012

The Source

I look for inspiration from other bead artists all the time, but I don't copy their work, unless that work has been published in a magazine or a book with the specific intent of distributing that work and the instructions for how to make it.  Even then, I rarely use the same colors or size of beads.  I'm trying to find my own voice.  I'm inspired by them.

Unfortunately, many of the small pieces I've been doing lately are very easily reproduced or copied.  I'm not flattered when this is done.  It's stealing.  I'm happy to show anybody who asks how to do the technique, how to do peyote stitch or right angle weave or brick stitch or bead embroidery or any of the many stitches I've studied over the last 10 years.  I'm flattered by that request.  It's an honest desire to want to learn how.  Lord knows, it's been my obsession for over 15 years now and I'm happy to pass the information on, but I would like to encourage them to find their own voice.

What inspires YOU?  Do you find joy in large beads?  In certain colors?  Look at what excites you and learn from it!  Are you a sunny person?  Do you enjoy blues and yellows and think of the ocean mists?  Do you gravitate toward darker, metallic colors?  These are details that take sometimes years to recognize.  Are you monochromatic?  Do you like tweeds and browns?  What colors have you painted the rooms in your home? What clothes do you wear?  What patterns excite you?  Do you get joy from 60's flower prints or Chinese coral?

These things are all going through my mind when I choose to make a piece;  every decision, from the tiniest size 13 Charlotte, to the largest neck piece, is chosen with care and purpose.  With intent.  Sometimes those decisions are well-thought out ahead of time; sometimes made on the spot.  But they have to be made sometime along the creation process, so I take ownership of them.  It's a complicated process.

Just because you CAN copy something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.  Peace, Love, Rayo





6 comments:

  1. Hi Rayo, I just have to tell you that I love the work you've been doing that Kate's shown us. I decided to search you out and found your blog. I don't see a button for following it, but I'm definitely coming back here again to see what you're working on. You've made some truly amazing and beautiful things. I hope to be half as good one day! Best wishes from a fan!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you Sally! I've learned some great new tricks from Kate's book and I can't wait to see what other people have been doing too! I think these techniques really lend themselves to creative thinking. Have fun!

      Delete
  2. I just saw your piece on Kate's website. I even commented on the genius of it. Anyone that can create that kind of beauty doesn't need to worry about selling. I bet there are plenty who would pay to own that particular piece. The copying is about the colors you use, tension and how you put the stitches together. Beading has been around for a long time, so very little is original. You have to do what please you. The rest will follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello donna! I have a pervasive fear of posting my work online but it's one I'm just now confronting. I don't really know copyright laws or what is considered acceptable by the beading community, so I appreciate any and all comments about this. Do you post your stuff? Have you had any problems? I'm really not worried much about the bigger, elaborate pieces because the people who could reproduce those could also just do their own work so why would they bother doing mine. It's the little things I worry about. bracelets, earrings. Perhaps I have no need at all to be concerned...Thank you so much for your comments here and on Kate't site!

      Delete
    2. As far as copyright laws go, I believe that if you mention something like "based on a pattern by artist name" when you post it clears you of that problem. But I suppose if you can contact the designer and ask how they would like it handled is best. No I don't post at all. I am a hermit type and just troll the internet looking at the beauty that others create. I do bead and have been beading for 20+ years but I don't care to put my work "out there". Just a personal decision. I hope you keep showing what you create and that your moving doesn't keep you too far from your beads.

      Delete
  3. Kate's site. Damn perfectionism!

    ReplyDelete